Spanish comic artist Trini is an iconic Jinty creator; her sharp lines lend themselves well to mean girls (Stacey in ‘The Slave of Form 3B’) and to humour (The Zodiac Prince). She has illustrated some true classics – ‘Creepy Crawley’ and ‘The Slave of Form 3B’ in particular – but whether drawing a one-shot Gypsy Rose story or a longer arc that gives her free rein with mad eyes and grins, her distinctive style is always a delight to see. She seems particularly good at brunettes with snapping glares, but her happy-go-lucky Zodiac Prince, one of the few male protagonists in a Jinty story, is also a memorable character.
Some of her stories are signed, such as this page from ‘Sisters At War!’ – a small neat signature in the very bottom left of the page that would be easy to miss. Even without that, it would be hard to avoid a contented recognition of her beautiful artwork on first sight.
She is widely-published in Continental Europe, with long-running strips and short one-offs in Dutch comic Tina and in German magazine Biggi. Sadly though her name never became famous in this country in the way her artwork really deserves.
Her official website has text in English and Spanish.
List of Jinty stories attributable to Trini Tinturé:
- Battle of the Wills (1977; summary page)
- Cinderella Smith (1975; summary page)
- Creepy Crawley (1977; summary page)
- The Disappearing Dolphin (1979)
- Food for Fagin (1981)
- Freda’s Fortune (1981; summary page)
- Mimi Seeks a Mistress (complete story) – originally published in June and School Friend, 8 February 1969
- The Mystery of Martine (1976-77; summary page)
- The Perfect Princess (1980; summary page)
- Prisoners of Paradise Island (1974; summary page)
- Sisters at War! (1976)
- The Slave of Form 3B (1976) (summary page)
- A Spell of Trouble (1980; summary page)
- Too Old to Cry! (1975)
Now not attributed to TriniOnce again attributed to Trini!
- The Zodiac Prince (1978)
Stories in other titles:
- Milly on the Move (Judy, 1964)
- Orphans of Italy (June and School Friend, 1968) – 50 episodes
- Jumping Julie and the Harlequins (Judy, 1969)
- Oh, Tinker! (June and School Friend, 1969-1972)
- And Mother Came Too (Judy 1966, reprinted 1979)
- Jumping Julie (Judy 1968, reprinted 1979)
- Linda of Silver Lake (Debbie, 1976)
- When the Wild Geese Call… (Tammy 23 July 1983)