(Cover artist: Mario Capaldi)
I’ve just noticed that Capaldi is doing that same page layout with the oddly-shaped second panel in the bottom right corner. I guess it means that the initial big image that he leads with can be maximised, while still including an element of continued story-telling on the front cover.
Normally an artist wouldn’t have more than one story in the same issue, but occasionally there was an overlap between the end of one story and the beginning of the next, as is the case here with Phil Gascoine’s two stories “Golden Dolly, Death Dust!” and “The Green People”. “Golden Dolly, Death Dust!” is one of my most memorable Jinty stories, featuring a corn dolly that comes to life and stands for the sun and all living things; alongside her human friends, she fights against the powers of darkness and death, represented by Miss Marvell the witch. The images in this story were so powerful that they featured in quite a few of my dreams thereafter.
Stories in this issue:
- The Jinx From St Jonah’s (artist Mario Capaldi)
- Blind Ballerina (artist Ana Rodrigues)
- Golden Dolly, Death Dust! (artist Phil Gascoine)
- Dora Dogsbody (artist José Casanovas)
- The Valley of Shining Mist (artist Carlos Freixas)
- Song of the Fir Tree (artist Phil Townsend)
- The Green People (artist Phil Gascoine)
- Barracuda Bay (artist Santiago Hernandez)
- Ping-Pong Paula (artist Jim Baikie)
- Do-It-Yourself Dot (artist Rafart)